Font Size

Maximum text Medium text Small text

Honolulu ADRC Frequently Asked Questions

What is "Kupuna Care"?

Kupuna Care is funded by the State of Hawaii to provide services such as transportation, attendant care, case management, home-delivered meals, homemaker, and personal care services. To qualify, someone must not be able to do one or more activities of daily living (ADLs) or instrumental activities of daily living (IADLs). Clients are asked for a voluntary contribution. Call (808) 768-7700 for more information.

How can I get a picture identification card if I don't have a Driver's License?

Starting in 2013, the duties for processing State Identification cards was transferred to the 4 counties of Hawaii.  You may apply at drivers' licensing offices.  For more information on applying for a State ID card in the City & County of Honolulu, click here.

Do you know anyone I may hire to help care for my elder?

See our Family Caregiving Guide for information and resources.

How do I report abuse of an elderly person?

Abuse may be physical, psychological, financial, or sexual. The State of Hawaii Adult Protective Service (APS) office on Oahu, (808) 832-5115, has the authority to help and intervene in cases of abuse, whether suspected or actual. Any person making the report may remain anonymous. Any person who is neglected by others or exhibits signs of self-neglect should also be reported to APS.  Abuse may also be reported to the police by calling 911.

How do I get one of those passes that allow parking in handicapped spaces?

The pass is called a Disabled Persons Parking Permit. Applications are available at any satellite city hall or the Customer Services Department, Honolulu Municipal Building 650 S. King Street, 1st floor, Honolulu, HI 96813. A doctor must confirm your disability. You may also download the form from Disability and Communication Access Board.

How do I get TheHandi-Van service?

You must schedule an in-person interview with the TheHandi-Van Elibigility Center located at 1100 Ward Ave. Suite 835.  Please call (808) 538-0033.  For more information, click here.

Who can tell me about housing options for seniors?

The best place for current information on rental housing options for seniors is the Housing Assistance Program, Catholic Charities Hawaii (808) 527-4777.  Also check out our section on Senior Housing.

How do I apply for a senior bus pass?

Apply at the main office at the Kalihi Transit Center, Corner of Middle Street & Kamehameha Highway.  Call (808) 848-4444 or go to The Bus online for more information.

Where can a well, active senior go for exercise, recreation and socialization?

Senior Centers are located at the Kaneohe Community Center (233-7317), Kapahulu Senior Center (737-1748), Lanakila Multipurpose Senior Center (847-1322), Makua Alii Senior Center (973-7258), Moiliili Community Center (955-1555), and Waikiki Community Center (923-1802). The Department of Parks and Recreation, City and County of Honolulu, coordinates several senior clubs located around Oahu. Call (808) 973-7258 for the location of one nearest you or go online to City and County of Honolulu Parks.

Where are the places seniors can go for a luncheon meal?

Meals are served in many group dining locations by Lanakila Meals on Wheels. Call (808) 531-0555 for information and applications. Meals delivered to homebound persons can also be arranged at Lanakila Meals on Wheels and Hawaii Meals on Wheels (808) 988-6747.

My home needs repairs. Can I apply for a low interest loan someplace? Can I get help with modifying my home to accommodate a disabled person?

Call or visit onlin the Rehabilitation Loan Section, City and County of Honolulu (808) 768-7076 for information and an application. They grant low interest loans to qualifying persons for home repairs and modifications to accommodate disabled persons (ramps, bathroom and doorway modifications, etc.).

I need help preparing my tax returns, but cannot afford to pay a tax preparer.

The AARP Tax-Aide program offers several sites on Oahu where qualified volunteers assist with the preparation of federal and state tax returns at no charge. Call the Senior Helpline (808) 768-7700 for a convenient site or go to AARP taxaide.

My relative needs to be in a care home. How do I learn where there are care homes, and who is eligible for placement in a care home?

Refer to the Residential Options for Hawaii’s Seniors guidebook for information about different care facilities in Hawaii.  To learn about care home services and locations, call the Department of Health Office of Healthcare Assurance at (808) 692-7400. You may also call the Senior Helpline (808) 768-7700 to learn about other options that may provide enough help to your relative continue staying at home. Care home placement should also be discussed with your relative's physician.

I am a caregiver for my father. Is there a Senior Center or activity he can attend while I am working?

The answer depends on his physical and mental condition. Please call the Senior Hotline (808) 768-7700 to describe your situation and ask for assistance. Most senior centers require participants to be independent. For those who need assistance and/or supervision, an adult day care center may be more appropriate.

How can I arrange services to help parents who live in another state? I think they could be helped by services like those available in Oahu.

Services for parents or any elder persons living in another state can be arranged through the area agency on aging (AAA) in their area. Their specific AAA can be ascertained via the Eldercare Locator through their toll-free number (1-800-677-1116). Eldercare Locator is a service of the Administration on Aging of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.It is important to keep in mind that the elder may not be as willing to accept services as you would like them to be. Discussing how these services will keep them independent may be a good way to introduce the subject.

How can I apply for benefits such as food stamps and Medicaid?

To see if you are eligible for welfare, food stamps, and Medicaid, please call the Public Assistance Information line at 643-1643.

Does Medicare cover dental services?

Original Medicare does not cover dental services. Some Medicare Advantage plans may provide some dental coverage, however this is usually very limited. Medicaid does not normally cover dental services either, except under certain circumstances.

What is the difference between Medicare and Medicaid?

Medicare is a Federal health insurance plan available to seniors 65 years and older and certain persons with disabilities. Medicaid is a State-administered health insurance program for persons with certain disabilities/medical conditions and persons 65 years and older who have very low incomes and limited assets.

Will Medicare pay for a nurse or home health aid to help an elder in the home?

Medicare generally provides medical coverage only. This includes visits to a doctor and stays in the hospital. Medicare will only cover short-term, in-home care following hospitalization, and when ordered by a doctor. Medicare does not cover custodial services, which are non-medical care services such as housekeeping, meal preparation and ongoing assistance with personal care.

Will Medicare pay for a Long Term Care facility such as a Care Home or Nursing Home?

Medicare does not cover care homes. Medicare will cover a limited number of days for stays in a skilled nursing facility, normally following hospitalization. It does not cover long term stays in a skilled nursing facility. If client requires ongoing skilled nursing care and cannot afford to pay, client should apply for Medicaid long term care coverage.

Where are the places seniors can go for a luncheon meal?

Meals are served in many group dining locations by Lanakila Meals on Wheels. Call (808) 531-0555 for information and applications. Meals delivered to homebound persons can also be arranged at Lanakila Meals on Wheels and Hawaii Meals on Wheels (808) 988-6747.


For Help Call: